English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Saturday 16 May 2015

The Rhine Gold / El oro del Rin

Oberon

You know what, Titania? My first job was guardian of the gold of the Nibelungs. Back then I was under a spell that didn’t let me grow and my parents thought it would be best for me to live among my cousins  the dwarfs. But one day I grew to my present height and was politely fired. I left, but not before they had made me a shareholder in Rhine Gold, Inc, a very anonymous corporation. Every month they send me a check to pay my dividends. But this month it hasn´t arrived. Is there some kind of a traffic jam at the post office? I doubt it, because the mail has been arriving on time ever since my PM fell asleep and stopped flooding the postman with letters.

¿Sabes, Titania? Mi primer empleo fue el de guardián del oro de los nibelungos. Entonces yo estaba bajo un hechizo que no me dejaba crecer y mis padres pensaron que estaría mejor viviendo entre mis primos los enanos. Pero un día sí que empecé a crecer y me largaron de allí. Pero no sin que me hiciesen antes accionista de El Oro del Rin, Sociedad Muy Anónima. Todos los meses, me mandan un cheque para pagar mis dividendos. Pero este mes no me ha llegado. ¿Estará alguien colapsando el hada correo? Me extraña, porque desde que mi primer ministro se quedó roque y dejó de inundar al cartero, el correo ha estado llegando muy bien.

Titania

I´ve told you many a time not to tell me stories about your German origins. I don't like them. I was born both English and queen. Some of us do things right from the very start.

Te tengo dicho que no me cuentes historias de tus orígenes alemanes, que no me gustan. Yo soy inglesa y reina de nacimiento. Los hay que hacemos las cosas bien desde el principio.


Puck

So, I´m back, Oberon! You sent me for the dividends of your shares in the gold of the Rhine enterprise. Well, I´ve got news for you. I´ve got bad news, and also…well, in my personal opinion, worse news. The bad news is the gold has disappeared. It was last seen floating towards Switzerland. The possibly worse news is that the dwarfs are growing out of proportion. They used to be up to my navel and now…

Bueno, ya estoy de vuelta, Oberon. Me mandaste en busca de los dividendos del oro del Rin. Pues traigo dos noticias. La primera es mala, pero la segunda…bueno, en mi opinión personal es peor. La primera noticia es que el oro ha desaparecido, aunque fue visto por última vez flotando en dirección a Suiza. La segunda noticia, y no es por contar historias de miedo, es que nos crecen los enanos. Antes me llegaban al ombligo y ahora…

Oberon

Hm. Even running a circus is a risky business nowadays.

No, si es que ya no se puede ni montar un circo con tranquilidad.

Titania

But why have you brought these overgrown dwarfs back with you? We don´t need more wee folk here. We have got kids. By the way, where are they?

¿Pero por qué te has traído devuelta contigo a estos enanos creciditos? No necesitamos más gente menuda aquí. Tenemos hijos. Por cierto, ¿dónde están?

Puck

Well, Titania, it so happens that while I was running this errand I also ran into two of your little girls, the inseparable ones. They were manufacturing screeching cucumbers of the kind Germans hang on Christmas trees. If you have no clue what those are, don´t worry because you´ll learn when they give you one on Christmas Eve. It´s not likely you´ll miss much not finding out sooner. And as for the boy Arley, he was back there too, but at a university, with his scientific girlfriend, who is set on becoming a recycling queen with the support of a tribe of Rubbishies. Or is it the other way around?

Pues mire, Titania, al hacer este recado, casualmente me encontré con dos de las tres niñas menores, las dos que son inseparables. Estaban fabricando pepinillos gritones de esos que cuelgan los alemanes en los árboles de navidad. Si no sabe lo que es eso, ya se enterará cuando le regalen uno en nochebuena. No se pierde nada no enterándose antes. Y el niño Arley también anda por ahí, pero ese está haciendo unos cursos con su novia, la científica, que está decidida a convertirse en la reina del reciclado con el apoyo de una tribu de basuritas. ¿O es al revés? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (42) Listening / Escuchar (21) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (4) Music / Música (102) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (85) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (118) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (119) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll