English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Sunday 18 August 2013

Uncle Jumbisack / Paco, el tío del jumbisaco


Don Quijote

Whoever has a comic has a treasure.

Quien tiene un tebeo tiene un tesoro.


Alpin

What´s that you murmured about a treasure?

 ¿Qué es eso que has murmurado sobre un tesoro?


 
Don Quijote

While studying the list of vocabulary on jobs, professions and occupations my attention was drawn to that of super hero. Michael has lent me all these comics so I can learn what a super hero is. I’m delighted with them. I´m going to spend what is left of the summer reading comics. Oh! What I would give to be a super hero! Flying in the sky, jumping over skyscrapers, cavorting on the rooftops! And always to do good! It´s like being a knight errant but with a bit of science in it. Could an unbeliever like Samson Carrasco object to something this scientific? And I wouldn´t be breaking my promise to refrain from being a knight errant. Nobody ever asked me not to be a super hero.

Al estudiar la lista de vocabulario de oficios, profesiones y ocupaciones, me llamó la atención la de superhéroe. Michael me ha dejado todos estos tebeos para que me entere bien de lo que es un superhéroe. Me han encantado. Voy a tirarme todo lo que queda del verano leyendo tebeos. ¡Ay! ¡Quién fuese un superhéroe! Volar por los cielos, saltar por encima de rascacielos y corretear por los tejados! ¡Y siempre para hacer el bien! Es como ser caballero andante pero contando con la ciencia. ¿Podrían los incrédulos como Sansón Carrasco objetar a algo tan científico?  Y no estaría faltando a mi promesa de no ejercer de caballero andante. No se dijo nada sobre hacer de superhéroe.

Arley

Why don´t you come with us? There´s a hole in the wall you are leaning on and we mean to pass through it and search the ruins of the house it surrounds for magic treasures. We´ve been warned this could be dangerous, so, the more the safer.

¿Por qué no viene usted con nosotros? Hay un agujero en el muro en el que está usted apoyado y nosotros estamos decididos a pasar por él y registrar las ruinas de la casa que rodea en busca de tesoros mágicos. Nos han advertido que puede ser peligroso. Así que cuantos más seamos, más seguros estaremos.

Vinny / Vicentico

 Yes, it´s dangerous. We Leafies are well aware that visitors aren´t welcome in the manse.

Sí que es peligroso. Los Hojuela estamos bien enterados de que las visitas no son bienvenidas en esa mansión.  

Alpin

We´re not visitors. We´re trespassers. And there´s no sign that says no trespassing.

No somos visitas. Somos allanadores. Y no hay ningún cartel que prohíba allanar esta morada.

 Vinny / Vicentico

You can tell that to the man with the sack. I´m sure he´ll see things your way.

Puedes decirle eso al hombre del saco. Seguro que ve las cosas a tu modo.

Arley

There´s a man with a sack in there? Like the bogeyman?

¿Hay un hombre con un saco ahí dentro? ¿Como El Coco?

Vinny / Vicentico

We call him Uncle Jumbisack. My cousin Johnsie fell through one of the chimneys of the manse one dark evening. Tell them how it went with you, Johnsie.

Le llamamos Paco, el tío del jumbisaco. Mi primo Juanico se cayó por una de las chimeneas de la mansión una oscura noche. Cuéntales como te fue, Juanico.

Johnsie /Juanico

 I wish I could. I can´t remember a thing, but I know for sure something dreadful occurred. After my fall, I woke up in a nest hanging from a eucalyptus tree somewhere in the tropic of Capricorn. It took me months to get back home. But I consider myself lucky. I don´t know how, but I´m sure I eluded a sad fate. Although I can´t remember what happened, I have nightmares about sacks that are full of moving, writhing things to this day.

¡Ya me gustaría! No recuerdo nada, pero tengo por seguro que algo horrible tuvo que pasar. Tras mi caída, desperté en un nido colgado de un eucalipto en algún lugar del trópico de capricornio. Tardé meses en regresar a casa. Pero me considero afortunado. No sé cómo, pero estoy convencido de que me libré de un triste fin. Aunque no recuerdo lo que sucedió, tengo pesadillas hasta hoy con sacos que están llenos de cosas que se mueven y se retuercen. 

Don Quijote

All the more reason to barge in there! That sinister and unfriendly creature owes everyone civilized an explanation! And if he is up to something dastardly, we´ll invite him to put a stop to it. Oh, how excited I am! I’m about to return to my chivalrous ways, but this time with the blessing of Science. However, there are two details I must see to first. I will need a mask. This scarf will have to do for now. And I will also need a new name. It would defeat the purpose of the mask if I were to act under my authentic name. “Super Quijano” won´t do because I would be giving myself away. “Mancha Man” is so good that somebody is probably already using it.

¡Con motivo más fundado invadiremos ese lugar! ¡Hay que exigirle una explicación a ese siniestro e inhóspito maleducado. Y si anda en algo turbio, le invitaremos a dejar de hacerlo. ¡Ay, que emocionado estoy!  Voy a volver a las gloriosas andadas, y esta vez con la bendición de la ciencia. Pero dos detalles me faltan para hacer esto bien. La primera es un antifaz. Este pañuelo tendrá que servir por ahora. La segunda es un nuevo nombre. De nada serviría cubrirme el rostro si me presentase con mi autentico nombre. “Super Quijano” me delataría. “Mancha Man” es mejor, pero es tan bueno que seguro que alguien ya lo utiliza.

  Alpin

Call yourself “The Raving Reader.”It suits you best. And that´s enough chitchat for today. Let´s get this done right now. Ready, get set, go, my valiant bookworms! 

Llámate “El Lector Liante.” Es de lo más adecuado. Y basta de cháchara. Hagamos esto de una vez. ¡Adelante, mis valientes ratones de biblioteca! 

For those who are reading this post in Spanish and because of Michael's comment below: / 
Para los que están leyendo esta entrada en castellano y atentos al comentario que nos ha hecho Michael, hemos conseguido traductor para la pared parlante. Reproducimos a continuación las imágenes de la misma con los grafitos también en español. Queda horriblemente tupido, pero...es lo que hay. 




 






 

1 comment:

  1. I have a message for the talking wall. I am told it is saccus and not sacum. And the wall doesn´t speak Spanish and will need to learn or use an interpreter.

    Tengo un mensaje para la pared parlante. Me dicen que es saccus y no sacum.Esta pared no habla español.Tendrá que aprender o utilizar un interprete.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (118) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll