English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Consolation Prize / Premio de consolación




Vinny / Vicentico

Whaaaah! Oh, what a setback! How can I not have won? Everybody says I´m such a lucky little leaf! No, don´t try to console me. I´m coming apart! It´s the first time I´ve ever lost anything at all! Besides, I should have had beginner's luck, too. Why didn´t I?

¡Buaaaah! ¡Ay, que disgusto! ¿Cómo puede ser que no haya ganado? Todos dicen que soy un hojita muy suertudo! No, no intentes consolarme. ¡Estoy deshecho! ¡Es la primera vez que pierdo algo! Además, debía de haber tenido la suerte del principiante también. ¿Por qué no la he tenido?




Arley

Vinny, don´t take it that way. It´s almost impossible to win mortal lottery. In truth, it´s just a way of collecting taxes or doing charity. Didn´t you know that?

Vicentico, no te lo tomes así. Es casi imposible ganar la lotería mortal. En realidad, sólo es una forma de recaudar impuestos o de hacer una caridad. ¿No lo sabías?


Vinny/ Vicentico

No. I was sure I would win. If not, I would never have gambled the coin I found in the forest and that I should have handed over to the Fund for the Ransom of Kidnapped Fairies. But, you see –waaaahhh! I need it to eat!

No. Estaba seguro de que ganaría. Si no, jamás me hubiese jugado esa moneda que encontré en el bosque y que tenía que haber entregado al Fondo Para El Rescate De Hadas Secuestradas. Pero es que - ¡buaaaaaa! – lo necesito para comer.




Arley

To eat? You have nothing to eat? How awful! I had no idea. By the way, what do you eat?

¿Para comer? ¿Pero es que no tienes para comer? ¡Qué horror! No tenía ni idea. ¿Por cierto, que es lo que coméis?

Vinny / Vicentico

We only eat a bit of earth mixed with water, though we gather acorns and nuts and such to help creatures of the woods in need to get through harsh winters. It´s not that we´ve ran out of any of these things. It´s that one day we heard the Binky say he was going to remodel his office and you know how we hate change, so I was sent to spy on Binky and learn what sort of evil he was plotting.

Sólo comemos un poco de tierra mezclada con agua, aunque recogemos bellotas y nueces y otras cosas parecidas para ayudar a las criaturas del bosque necesitadas a sobrevivir durante los inviernos más crudos. No es que carezcamos de estas cosas. Es que un día oímos al Binky decir que iba a redecorar su oficina y tú ya sabes que odiamos cualquier cambio. Así que me mandaron a espiar al Binky y enterarme de que maldades estaba tramando.

In truth and as usual, Binky had no idea what his own intentions were and he discovered what he wanted to change while having dinner at a posh restaurant with the Feng Shui Fairy Wisteria. The restaurant is called The Poultice, and since it is new, they ordered the tasting menu. For four hours I watched the waiters serve all kinds of bizarre, rare and luxurious morsels. I was hooked. It was as if I had been bewitched.

En realidad y como de costumbre, Binky no tenía ni idea de cuáles eran sus propias intenciones y sólo se enteró de lo que quería hacer mientras cenaba en un restaurante muy pijo con Wisteria, el hada maestra del Feng Shui. El restaurante se llama La Cataplasma y como es nuevo pidieron el menú degustación. Durante más de cuatro horas observé mientras los camareros servían toda clase de bocados extravagantes, raros y de lujuria. Quedé enganchado. Era como si me hubiesen embrujado.

Day after day and night after night all I do is dream of tasting that food. I know it's absurd, but I also know I will feel like a failure while I don´t  get to give myself a taste of these delicacies. All this, plus losing the little clover lottery, has shattered my self-esteem. I´ll never be the same again.

Día tras día y noche tras noche lo único que hago es soñar con probar esa comida. Sé que es absurdo, pero también sé que me sentiré como un fracasado mientras no consiga invitarme a mí mismo a catar esos manjares. Todo esto, más perder la lotería del trebolito, ha reventado mi autoestima. Nunca volveré a ser el mismo.




Arley

Why didn´t you tell me what all this was about before? My parents want to celebrate my brother Devin's birthday at The Poultice. If I ask my mum, I´m sure she'll let you come with us.

¿Por qué no me has dicho todo esto antes? Mis padres quieren celebrar el cumpleaños de mi hermano Devin en La Cataplasma. Si se lo pido a mi madre, seguro que te dejará venir con nosotros.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (118) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll