English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Tuesday 1 January 2013

To sell or not to sell / Vender o no vender

At this time yesterday, Sir Mungo John Binky was strolling through Minced Forest, thinking to himself a sad soliloquy.

Ayer a estas horas, Sir Mungo John Binky estaba paseando por el bosque Triturado, pensando un triste soliloquio.


P.M. Sir Mungo John Binky / Primer Ministro Sir Mungo John Binky

I'm so unlucky. I hadn't written a letter asking the Magi for gifts since I was seven. The day before yesterday, I thought of writing one to ask for money for my school. It ocurred to me that if they could give a kid a blank check to solve a problem with, surely they could help me with my own problems. The truth is I deserve that school. I've put a lot of hope and effort into this project. So I write this letter...and what happens? The Magi goes bankrupt.  

¡Qué mala suerte tengo! No había escrito una carta a los Reyes Magos desde que cumplí los siete años. Anteayer se me ocurrió hacerlo para pedir dinero para mi escuela. Se me ocurrió que si le dieron un cheque en blanco a ese niño para un problema suyo, podrían ayudarme con los míos. La verdad es que me merezco esa escuela. He puesto mucha esperanza e ilusión en este proyecto. Pues escribo la carta…¿y qué pasa? Pues que los magos van y quiebran.

Of course there are ways of raising the money. But I don't know...I´m not sure. The truth is that I don't often come to this forest. I don't feel at home here. Not that it is mine. But I could sell it to the dark siders. There are ways to obtain things. Confiscate, expropriate. I've received interesting offers. If I sell it, the buyers will in turn sell it to the mortals. They will cut down all the trees. They'll use the wood, or maybe not even. And they'll start to build. They love to raise those beehive-like buildings. But what would become of those who live here? Although I know they don't like me, I don't want to do these little people any harm. The truth is they have nowhere decent to go. If I get my school in exchange of this forest, well, something will be gained. I would have sacrificed these people for a good purpose. But will they see it that way? I'd better go.  It's starting to snow and there is a crescent moon, but it doesn't give much light. I can't see very well.

Claro que hay maneras de conseguir dinero. Pero no sé…no lo tengo claro. La verdad es que no vengo muy a menudo por este bosque. No me siento a gusto aquí. No es que sea mío. Pero podría vendérselo a los del lado oscuro. Hay maneras de quedarse con las cosas. Expropiar, confiscar. He recibido ofertas interesantes. Si lo vendo, los compradores a su vez se lo revenderían a los humanos. Talarían todos estos árboles. Utilizarían la madera, o tal vez ni siquiera. Y se pondrían a edificar. Les encanta levantar edificios como colmenas. ¿Pero qué sería de los que viven aquí? La verdad es que aunque no les caigo bien, no quisiera hacerle daño a esta gentecilla. No tienen ningún lugar digno al que ir. Si consigo la escuela a cambio, pues algo se habría logrado. Les habría sacrificado para lograr un buen propósito. Ellos deberían entenderlo así. Debería irme. Está empezando a nevar y hay luna, pero sólo creciente. No veo bien.

While Mr. Binky debated on whether to sell or not to sell...

Mientras el Sr. Binky debatía sobre vender o no vender...


Sir Mungo John Binky, P.M. / Primer Ministro Sir Mungo John Binky

Yaaaaahhh! I'm falling!

¡Ayyyyyyyyy! ¡Qué me caigo!

True. Mr. Binky fell into a hole full of dead leaves and earthworms and some snow. And inside it, he continued debating with himself, although less comfortably.

Efectivamente, el Sr. Binky cayó dentro de un hoyo lleno de hojas muertas y lombrices y algo de nieve. Y ahí dentro, siguió debatiendo consigo mismo, aunque algo más incómodamente.


Sir Mungo John Binky, P.M. / Primer Ministro Sir Mungo John Binky

This could be a trap those little leaf fairies have prepared for me. They haven't the slightest chance in a fight, but they are quite mean and spunky. Well, I was only thinking, but they may have found out. Maybe there is among them one with a gift for reading minds. Or perhaps they hate me for some other reason. How dreadful! Being here must be like being dead. I hate having to do this, but I suppose it will be necessary to shout.

Esto podría ser una trampa que tienen preparada para mí esas hojitas. No tendrán dos tortas, pero tienen muy mala idea. Pues sólo estaba pensando, pero se han debido de enterar. Tal vez haya alguno entre ellos con el don de leer mentes. O quizás simplemente me odien por otro motivo. ¡Qué horror! Estar aquí debe ser como estar muerto. No me gusta nada hacerlo, pero supongo que tendré que gritar.

Mr. Binky's cries for help were heard by the Leafies.

A los gritos de auxilio del Sr. Binky acudieron los Hojita.

Sir Mungo John Binky, P.M. / Primer Ministro Sir Mungo John Binky

Please get me out of this hole. I think I've sprained an ankle. It's beginning to swell.

Sacadme de este agujero, por favor. Creo que me he torcido un tobillo. Se está hinchando.

Leafy Vinny / Vicentico Hojuela

Although we have no reason to like you, we'll haul you out. And you know why? Because it's still the Christmas season. Tonight is New Year's Eve. Where will you dine? We'll take you there.

Aunque nos hincha usted las narices, le vamos a sacar. ¿Y sabe por qué? Porque todavía estamos en Navidad. Es Noche Vieja. ¿Dónde va a cenar usted? Le llevaremos allí.

Sir Mungo John Binky, P.M. / Primer Ministro Sir Mungo John Binky

Why, I...I have no idea. The only place that is still open to the public at this hour today is the hamburger place in Wee Elmira. I could have a salad there. But they might poison it because they hate me since I have the need to have their status as a town revoked because the place is so small. We're settling it in court. Well, I...I think I'll just return to my office.  

Pues…no lo sé. El único sitio que hay abierto al público a esta hora hoy es la hamburguesería de  Enanita Elmira. Podría tomar una ensalada ahí, pero quizás me la envenenen, como me odian y estamos de juicio porque tengo necesidad de quitarle a ese lugar tan pequeño el título de pueblo, pues… la verdad, no lo sé. Creo que volveré a la oficina.

Leafy Vinny / Vicentico Hojuela

Well, the thing to do is invite a beggar to dinner at Christmas, but this year, at least in a figurative sense, many people have a politician sitting at their dinner table, eating up their festive meals. They weren't invited, but you will be, because I am going to invite you to share my dinner. Do you like acorn purée?  

Bueno, lo habitual es invitar a cenar a un pobre en Navidad, pero este año, al menos en sentido figurativo, mucha gente tiene sentado a un político en su mesa, que se ha zampado sus cenas festivas. Esos no estaban invitados, pero a usted, yo le voy a invitar a compartir la mía. ¿Le gusta el puré de bellotas?

And that night Mr. Binky ate acorn purée and a fine piece of a huge roasted chestnut with red berry sauce. He also made a clever, ambiguous speech about the future and the importance of progress that none of those present understood nor took into account. But he didn't eat the traditional twelve grapes for good luck because the Leafies' budget didn't allow for imported foods.  

Y esa noche el Sr. Binky cenó puré de bellotas y un buen pedazo de una gran castaña asada con salsa de frutas del bosque e hizo un hábil discurso muy ambiguo sobre el futuro y el progreso que ninguno de los presentes entendió ni tuvo en cuenta. Pero no tomó las doce uvas de la suerte porque el presupuesto de los Hojita no daba para productos importados.

Once again, Happy New Year!

Una vez más, feliz año!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (20) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (30) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (8) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (19) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (2) Music / Música (100) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (83) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (39) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (116) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (117) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (36) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll